Brethren Churches, Darke Co., OH


Rev Gerald Rhoades of PA contributed this:

Churches of the Brethren, Darke County, Ohio


Ash Grove Church of the Brethren

  • located north of Coldwater
  • meeting house built in 1896
  • organized in 1916 as a separate congregation from North Star congregation
  • disorganized in 1930
  • ministers were Frank Cordier, Frank Weimer, S.Z. Smith, and J.A. Guthrie
  • deacons were Noah Coate, Benjamin Baker, and R.T. Wagner
  • membership in 1920 was 22


    Beech Grove Church of the Brethren

  • located in Section 34, Liberty Township
  • began as a part of the West Branch congregation
  • built meeting house in 1888
  • organized in 1904 as separate congregation with D.M. Garver as elder
  • had 68 members in 1904
  • had 93 members in 1920
  • had 214 members in 1955
  • Families associated with this congregation are BAKER, BLOCHER, BOLINGER, BOOKWALTER, BROWER, BURGER, GROFF, HOLLINGER, KEENER, KREIDER, MCKEE, MILLER, PETRY, RIFE, ROYER, STOCKEDALE, STUMP


    Cedar Grove Church of the Brethren

  • located 3 1/2 miles south of Hollansburg
  • built meeting house in 1894
  • organized as a separte congregation in 1941 having been a part of the Prices Creek congregation
  • had 54 members in 1941
  • had 171 members in 1980
  • Families associated with this congregation are ALEXANDER, APWISCH, BOITNER, BRUBAKER, CROWE, HOLLINGER, LAKOLA, MOORE, ROGERS, TIMMONS


    Castine Church of the Brethren

  • was a branch of the Prices Creek congregation
  • first meeting house built in 1850
  • organized as a separate congregation in 1922 with S.A. Blessing as elder
  • had 106 members in 1922
  • had 250 members in 1980
  • Families associated with this congregation include: BROWN, CONDON, CRAWFORD, FOURMAN, GLICK, GROSSNICKLE, LONGANECKER, PETRY, RINEHART, SLADE, STOCKSDALE, STUDEBAKER, WERTENBAKER, WHITEHEAD, WONDLE


    Greenville Church of the Brethren

  • Located on Central Avenue
  • Greenville was in the territory of the Palestine congregation
  • 1884 Landon West held meetings in Greenville in the old Reformed Church on Sycamore Street
  • 1889 Southern Ohio District made Greenville a preaching point with a territory one mile each way from city hall
  • Henry Baker held regular services in the home of Brother Hardman on Central Avenue
  • 1906 organized as a congregation with David Hollinger as elder
  • Had 20 members in 1901
  • Had 392 members in 1980
  • Families related to this congregation include: ARDINGER, BAKER, BECK, BLOCKER, BRUMBAUGH, CABLE, CASSEL, FORRER, FRYMAN, HALLADAY, HARDMAN, KLEPINGER, MIKESELL, MILLER, MURPHY, OLIVER, PUTERBAUGH, RHOADES, RIFE, WANDLE, WEIMER


    North Star Church of the Brethren

  • located 1/2 mile east of North Star
  • built meeting house in 1883
  • organized in 1885 from Oakland congregation
  • met at Bennett and at Coate Schools--had preaching points at Mulberry Chapel, Holsople Chapel, Swamp Creek (6 miles north of Versailles) and Ash Creek
  • had 54 members in 1918
  • disorganized in 1919
  • Families related to this congregation include: BAKER, COATE, CORDIER, DEETER, GROFF, HARDMAN, HOLLINGER, LONGANECKER, MARTIN, RENSBERGER, SHELLABARGER, SHIVELY


    Old German Baptist Brethren Churches in Darke County, Ohio


    Oak Grove Old German Baptist Brethren Church

  • located 4 miles north of Gettysburg
  • organized in 1881 with ministers Emanuel Hoover and Aaron Miller
  • had 52 members in 1980
  • families related to this congregation include: BOONE, CONING, COOL, GARBER, FLORA, HOLLINGER, HOOVER, JONES, KINSLEY, LAVY, MARTIN, MILLER, NEFF, SKILES, WADE


    Painter Creek Old German Baptist Brethren Church

  • located northeast of Arcanum
  • organized in 1881 when members left the Bush Creek German Baptsit congregation
  • had 51 members in 1881
  • had 140 members in 1980
  • families related to this congregation include: ARNET, BAKER, BALSBAUGH, BECKNER, BRUBAKER, BRUMBAUGH, CASSEL, COOL, COTTRELL, FLORY, GARBER, LANDES, LAVY, MILLER, MOHLER, NEFF, SHELLABARGER, SHUMAN, SIDES, YODER


    Palestine Old German Baptist Brethren Church

  • located northeast of Palestine
  • also known as Miller House and Pleasant Grove
  • organized in 1881 with elders Jacob Miller and Emanuel Miller
  • had 55 members in 1881
  • had 76 members in 1980
  • families related to this congregation include: BAKER, BECKNER, BOWER, BOWMAN, BUTTS, COOL, GARBER, HYRE, KING, LILLER, MILLER, MOORE, WENRICK, WILLS



    Return to the Carousel Index.

    Return to the Previous Carousel article.

    Go to the Next Carousel article.

    Return to Darke County Genealogy Fair.