Such a thing as a gymnasium or an
auditorium was unheard of.

During the interval between the or-
ganization of the first public school in
1855 and the erection of the first pub-
lic school building in 1858, there were
several private schools conducted at
various times and places by Miss Mary
Ensminger, J. T. Farson, Mr. and Mrs.
Osborn, N. Rowe and others. Upon
the completion of the new building
these private schools ceased to exist.

The first school in the new building
was taught by Mr. and Mrs. Gray, who
were followed by William A. Wiley
and one assistant, who received as com-
pensation the princely sum of $2 and
$1.13 a day respectively. Mr. Wiley
afterward became prominent in Union
City business circles and at one time
served as auditor of Randolph county.
The enrollment had now reached 168.
To give one an idea of the growth of
our schools it is but necessary to state
that from an original enrollment of
seven they have reached a total enroll-
ment of 583 at the present time. It

is impossible to name all the principals
of the schools of that early period
within the space at my command, but
among those who served in that capa-
city may be mentioned Ebenezer Tuck-
er and Captain William D. Stone, two
eminent educators of their time.

Until 1872 the Union City schools
had been limited to the eight grades.
In that year Walter B. Page, superin-
tendent of schools, a man of splendid
executive ability, organized the first
high school class consisting of Ida
Jackson (now Mrs. Thomas Dunn, Sr.),
Alice Kemp, Edna Thompson, Laura
Crabbs, Emma Wilson, May Merridith,
Ella Boss, Cyrus Woodbury, Perry J.
Shank, Preston N. Woodbury, Webster
Lambert, James Foley and C. W. Bran-
don. Of these all subsequently drop-
ped out but Perry J. Shank, Preston
N. Woodbury, Webster Lambert and
Edna Thompson, who graduated in
April, 1876. In the meantime Walter
B. Page had retired from the superin-
tendency and was succeeded by John
C. Eagle, a man of scholarly attain-

On to Page 3
Back to Page 1