First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Which was taken principally from Wayne Township, with sixteen sections from Greenville and four from Adams Townships, was erected September 8, 1820, and was bounded as follows: commencing at the north line of the county, on the line between Ranges 1 and 2 East, running thence south to the south line of Section 7, Township 12 North, Range 2 East, thence east to the southwest corner of Section 11, Township 10 North, Range 3 East, thence north to the county line, thence along the north line of the county to the place of beginning. In March 1829, all of Township 12 North, Range 2 East, belonging to Richland, was put into Greenville Township. In December 1833, all the land bounded as follows was taken from Richland and erected into a new township called Brown: beginning at the northwest corner of Township 13 North, Range 2 East, thence south to the township line, thence east to the east line of Section 35, thence north to the township line, and west to the place of beginning. A little after, that part of townships 14 and 15 North, Range 2 East, lying directly north of the boundaries just given, was added to Brown Township. In June 1837, York Township (for its boundaries, see the history of that township) was taken from Richland, thus reducing the township to its present size.
Was formed in December 1820 and was bounded on the east, south and west by the Congressional township lines, and on the north by a line 40 rods north of the Whitewater road, and following the turns thereof. In June 1827, German Township was made to include all of Township 11 North, as it does today. In December 1833, the northern tier of sections was thrown into Washington Township, but was taken back in December 1834.
The most diligent search fails to reveal anything in the records concerning the formation of this township and, although inquiry was made of a score or more of old settlers, none could give the date at which it was taken from Twin Township, of which it originally formed a part. It was most probably about 1820 or '21.