First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
At first included the entire county. In July 1817, Twin Township was taken from the south of a line running due east from the Northwest corner of Section 31, Township 11 North, Range 1 East. In the same month, another township was erected in the north end of the county, called Wayne, which contained the following territory: all of the county north of a line commencing at the Northwest corner of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, thence east to the Northwest corner of Township 9 North, Range 4 East, thence south to the middle of said township, and thence east to the county line. In March 1819, all of Greenville Township that lay in Range 1 East was taken into a new township called Washington, and in the same month, Adams Township was formed, containing all the land in the county east of a line running south from the Northwest corner of Section 4, Township 10 North, Range 3 East to the Southwest corner of Section 28, Township 9 North, Range 3 East. In September 1820, two tiers of sections across the north end of Greenville Township were taken into a new township called Richland. In 1821, Neave Township was laid out, taking 4 tiers of sections from the south side of Greenville Township. In March 1829, all of Richland Township lying in Township 12 North, Range 2 East was transferred to Greenville Township, and also Section 31 of Township 13 North, Range 2 East. This section was afterwards thrown out again, leaving the township in its present shape.