Was erected December 5, 1821 and, in addition to
its present area, contained eight sections in what is now Van
Buren Township, making it eight miles east and west and four
miles north and south. In June 1838, all of Neave Township that
lay in Range 3 East was taken into a new township called Van
Buren, thus reducing it to its present size.