First page Back Continue Last page Overview Text

Darke County Boundaries 1819


ADAMS TOWNSHIP

Was erected in March 1819 and contained all the land east of a line running south from the Northwest corner of Section 28, Township 9 of Range 3. It was taken from the east end of Greenville Township and south end of Wayne. In 1820, sections 3, 4, 9 and 10 of Township 10, Range 3 were taken into Richland Township. In June 1838, all of Township 8 Range 4 and Township 9, Range 3 that were in Adams, was taken into a new township called Van Buren.

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP

Was erected in March 1819, and contained all of Greenville Township that lay in Range 1 East, that is, all of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, and of Township 11 North, except the south tier of sections, which belonged to Twin Township. September 7, 1820, Washington Township was made to include all of townships 11, 112, 13, 14 and 15, Range 1 East. In December 1820, German Township was taken from the south end of Washington. It included the greater part of Township 11 North, but was bounded on the north by a line 40 rods north of the White River road. In December 1833, the north tier of sections of Township 11 North was taken in Washington Township, but was put into German Township a year later. Also, in December 1833, townships 13, 14 and 15 were taken from Washington and formed into Jackson Township.