First page Back Continue Last page Overview Text

Darke County Boundaries 1817



WAYNE TOWNSHIP

Which took its name from "Mad Anthony," was one of the first laid off in the county. It was laid off in July 1817, and contained all of the county north of a line commencing at the northwest corner of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, and running thence east to the northwest corner of Township 9 North, Range 4 East, thence south to the middle of said township, and east to the county line. In 1819 that part of Wayne Township that lay in Township 9 North, Range 4 east, was taken into Adams Township. In 1820 all of Wayne that lay in Range 1 East was attached to Washington Township. In the same year Richland Township was formed, which was taken principally from Wayne, but partly from Greenville and Adams Townships. (See Richland) In 1841, Patterson Township was taken from the north end of Wayne, and contained all of that township that lay in townships 12 and 13, Range 3 East, and 11 and 12, Range 4 East.

TWIN TOWNSHIP

Was erected in July 1817, and contained all of the county south of a line running due east from the northwest corner of Section 31, Township 11 North, Range 1 East. When the townships of German, Neave and Van Buren were laid out, they were made to extend south to the range line, taking a strip a mile in width from the north part of Twin Township. In May 1818, Harrison Township was laid out, containing all of Twin west of a line running due north from the southeast corner of Section 31, Township 10 North, Range 2 East. In September 1820, Harrison Township was reduced to its present size. In June 1836, Monroe Township was taken from the east end of Twin, and contained all of that township east of a line running north from the southwest corner of Section 36, Township 8 North, Range 3 East. Butler Township includes all of Township 10 North, Range 2 East, and was taken from Twin Township, probably in 1821, but the exact date cannot be ascertained.