First page Back Continue Last page Overview Text

Darke County Boundaries 1809



GREENVILLE TOWNSHIP

At first included the entire county. In July 1817, Twin Township was taken from the south of a line running due east from the Northwest corner of Section 31, Township 11 North, Range 1 East. In the same month, another township was erected in the north end of the county, called Wayne, which contained the following territory: all of the county north of a line commencing at the Northwest corner of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, thence east to the Northwest corner of Township 9 North, Range 4 East, thence south to the middle of said township, and thence east to the county line. In March 1819, all of Greenville Township that lay in Range 1 East was taken into a new township called Washington, and in the same month, Adams Township was formed, containing all the land in the county east of a line running south from the Northwest corner of Section 4, Township 10 North, Range 3 East to the Southwest corner of Section 28, Township 9 North, Range 3 East. In September 1820, two tiers of sections across the north end of Greenville Township were taken into a new township called Richland. In 1821, Neave Township was laid out, taking 4 tiers of sections from the south side of Greenville Township. In March 1829, all of Richland Township lying in Township 12 North, Range 2 East was transferred to Greenville Township, and also Section 31 of Township 13 North, Range 2 East. This section was afterwards thrown out again, leaving the township in its present shape.