The Swamp Creek Settlement.
Of course about the first explorers of a permanent settlement, is the government's surveying party marking off the original towns (block of 36 sections) and section lines. This survey was made about the year 1805, some two years after Ohio was admitted as a state. In the year 1815, a party from the Stillwater Settlement in Miami County, near where now is the town of Pleasant Hill, canoed up the river, Stillwater, to where it forked into two nearly equal branches, and taking up the east branch, found the stream to consist mainly of swamps and ponds whose waters were murky, turbid and still, hence named the country the "Black Swamps," and this East branch of Stillwater received the name of "Swamp Creek," and the early inhabitants of the "Swamp Creek Settlement," were called by these Stillwater neighbors "Black Swampers," not on account of their complexion, but on account of the stream along which they were settled.
The Earlier Arrivals of Pioneer Settlers.
Our narrative will begin with the old Childer's farm whose
successor was David Brandon and of later years owned by a Mr.
Kaylor. This was considered the "A" of the Swamp Creek Settlement
with the old Metzcar farm as the "Z." Childers was an old
We surmise that the men wore shirt-waists without coats even at
that early date, and created no sensation either, and pataloons
and suspenders of the same material. While the foot-gear of some,
we venture, were the finest ever exhibited, doubtless being such
as Nature wove. James Childers, a member of this family, was a
resident of the community south of Bloomers, Ohio, a family well
score year and
ten mark that in early youthful years, the first grave of the
settlement was well known and well marked, and that it was the
grave of a stranger, who passing by took sick at the said Billy
Hoel's and died there, and was buried before the ceding of the
burial ground as aforesaid. Whether Silas Atchison of whom we
will speak in these pages further on, was a brother or son, and
James Atchinson, the preacher, was a nephew or grandson, the
writer was unable to learn, but the phrase of eighty years ago as
applied to the widow, "Old Granny Atchison," points to the latter
Wood addition being the first), to the town of Jacksonville.
Web presentation ©2001 by Wally Garchow for DCOWeb
All Rights Reserved