Darke County Genealogical Researchers > Township > Wayne Township

WAYNE TOWNSHIP Which took its name from "Mad Anthony," was one of the first laid off in the county. It was laid off in July 1817, and contained all of the county north of a line commencing at the northwest corner of Township 12 North, Range 1 East, and running thence east to the northwest corner of Township 9 North, Range 4 East, thence south to the middle of said township, and east to the county line. In 1819 that part of Wayne Township that lay in Township 9 North, Range 4 east, was taken into Adams Township. In 1820 all of Wayne that lay in Range 1 East was attached to Washington Township. In the same year Richland Township was formed, which was taken principally from Wayne, but partly from Greenville and Adams Townships. (See Richland) In 1841, Patterson Township was taken from the north end of Wayne, and contained all of that township that lay in townships 12 and 13, Range 3 East, and 11 and 12, Range 4 East.
Cemeteries Census 1880 Churches Communities
Schools

 School locations and railroads are from the 1888 atlas

Land Patents sorted by surname Land Patents sorted by section
1857 Wayne 1875 Wayne 1857 Wall Map 1875 Atlas

Communities in Wayne Township

Name Location Lat./Long.

Pop.

Frenchtown

SR185 at Burns Rd. and Mangen Rd.

401447N
0843126W

Needmore

Martz Rd. east of Boyer Rd.

401145N
0843010W

North Jacksonville 1875

SR185 and Reed Rd. north of Versailles

401338N
0842909W

Versailles 1857 1875

SR47, SR185, SR242

401321N
0842904W

2348

Webster 1857 1875

SR185, Seibt Rd. and Gettysburg-Webster Rd.

401112N
0842841W

Top of Page