Founded 1973

Spitler House
Spitler House Community Museum 14 Market Street
Community Museum

Exhibit
Building
 
Research
Library
 Railroad Depot
Chessie Caboose & Brookville Depot at Cusick & Hay Ave.
Depot Museum

Album
  Brookville
  Dayton

Gruenig-Bryant-Hill
Log House

Gruenig-Bryant-Hill Log House on Clay Street

Located on the northeast side of Clay Street in Brookville
Sold and moved

(Click on photo for larger view)

Description and Features

The log house has a high stone foundation that is visible from all four sides. The main entrance is the central bay and the windows are elongated rectangles. The logs were originally chinked together with pieces of wood and stone. The corners of the building come together in a flat notch style. The roof is constructed of metal and is gabled. The chimney was used by a wood burning stove. Because Clay St. was not platted until 1869, this house was moved to its present location.

Historical Significance

It is believed that this building was built in what is now downtown Brookville and moved to its present location sometime after 1869. The buildings construction is estimated to be of the 1830s. For this reason, it is considered to be one of the oldest buildings in the village of Brookville.

Restoration Project - Sold

 

 

Mail address:
Brookville Historical Society
P.O. Box 82
Brookville, Ohio 45309-0082

 

1999 - 2015 Brookville Historical Society, Inc.